Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering September 11th

I don't even know where to begin to talk about this day. Never in my life did I ever think I would see anything like what happened in New York that day. Life has gone on and much has happened since that fateful day in September 2001, but like one news reporter said,"You will not forget this day".
I first heard word of a plane hitting the north tower as I pulled into the parking lot of my job that morning. What I first thought was some kind of sick radio hoax turned out to be a world event that would forever change my life and rob me of my innocence. I stood with my colleagues glued to the break room television as we watched in shock as the world crumbled. How could this happen? I thought as I stood there, tears running down my cheeks. WE are AMERICA! WE are the most powerful nation in the world! How could something like this happen to US? In that moment I felt very small and very vulnerable. No place was safe, fear set in and I began to feel like I was waiting on Armageddon. As I watched the fires consuming the towers, I saw desperation in the faces of the rescue crews trying to conquer the monster. To my horror I saw that there were people actually jumping from 80 floors up to escape the flames! I broke down sobbing. I couldn't breathe. What must it be like I thought to be so hopeless and afraid that you would commit an act like that. Those poor souls. To this day I cannot erase the image of that moment. I refuse to give credence to any of the monsters who caused this disaster to happen. I still feel intense sadness for those lost and those who lost during this time. I also feel sad for our country to have experienced such a tragic loss of life. But as is our way we rose from the ashes, I hope that the American people never forget. I hope that always we remember what we are made of, what we can endure. Unite Americans! Remember patriotism! Remember love of country! Never forget who we are! Always be grateful for every blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment