Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Life... and McDonalds

Its Tuesday night and once again I am heading home from a long day of whatever I have going.. work .. school.. and life. I envy those mothers who have figured it all out. The Betty Crocker lifestyle, organized home, clean kitchen and clean well-behaved children. I however, do not yet have that one down pat! I am the frazzled stressed frizzy-haired mom with kids all talking at once with my SUV full of school papers and stuffed animals, trying to make my grocery list in my head while I drive. I wait each day for the dreaded question... "Hey Mom? What's for dinner??" Of course, dinner. That meal that families eat at the end of the day at their cute little tables and chat about their day. Hmm.. what IS for dinner??? And then an epiphany! It's Tuesday! It's $1.99 Happy Meal Night at McDonalds! Hamburger, fries, drink and a toy? My kids are screaming like we just won the lottery. The vote is unanimous. Am I thinking about future clogged arteries? Do I calculate fat grams and sodium? Not tonight. I am imagining my 3 lovely children happily chowing down on fried potato goodness, playing with their cheap plastic toys. Ah, I can get a head start on bedtime, start my homework early and still get the laundry done! Eat your heart out Betty Crocker, Hamburger Helper Glove Guy even you can't make dinner fast enough this time. In the time it takes to whip out my debit card and pull to the second drive-thru window.. dinner is served!

2 comments:

  1. Autumn - Remember, even Betty Crocker takes a day off now and then. Dinnertime is sometimes very difficult to negotiate - I know. You are not a bad mom, your kids will remember Tuesday nights and how much fun Happy Meals are! ~Ms. A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, I know how rough it is to do feel like you're chasing your tail and then come up with dinner on top of it. When I ask, "So what do you want for dinner?" the most common answer is, "I don't know." Go with it. If McDonald's works then so be it. I stay home now and I have a hard time getting dinner on the table. Don't feel bad about it. Your kids will remember how hard you're working to achieve your goal and just think of the positive example you're setting.

    ReplyDelete