Monday, March 23, 2009

Family.. it's a good thing!

I am just typing away this morning enjoying the sunshine and the fact that neither my children or I have school today! I am not saying that I dislike my classes or my teachers, but sometimes you get a break and it is just fun!!! I am really loving this weather!! I took a long hike with my favorite guy yesterday at the Nature Center, then we took my daughter and two of my brothers to the park to explore the caves and take a trek around the park. We finished our visit off with some frisbee which brought a whole lot of laughs! It was so great!! I had a wonderful time. As I sat on the big rock cliff over the caves and just enjoyed the breeze and the sun, I was so excited that Spring is finally here!! I love nice weather and hanging with family!

I am the oldest of 6 children, two girls four boys. I have spent pretty much my whole life sharing a bedroom with someone. Depending on the weather and the night sounds, sometimes I even shared my bed with whatever little boy had a nightmare and was too scared to sleep alone. Being a big sister wasn't always cake though. I had kids in my room constantly, in my make up and messing up my private stuff. I got the opportunity to babysit alot whether I liked it or not, and my mom was always needed help with the littlest ones. The upside was that I was never alone so there was always someone to hang out with. Games were more fun because we always had enough people to play, and holidays were a blast with so many laughing, happy people to celebrate with! As we have grown older and busier it has become harder and harder to keep the family close. I don't see my family nearly as much as I would like to. My sister lives in Florida and I haven't been able to see her for 2 years. The oldest of my brothers is married and is busy with his family, and my 3 youngest brothers are working and studying and busy doing young, single "guy stuff". We usually get together for holidays and everyone's birthday and things like that. But sometimes, like families do.. you pull together for even the littlest things and prove what family is all about.
I took a trip recently and experienced some travelers angst on the trip home. What was supposed to be a whirlwind weekend trip to Vegas became a flying fiascoe! We were on a company trip and were enjoying the sights and nightlife of Las Vegas, we had to leave out early in the day on Sunday to make our flight. I wish that we had known what would happen that evening, I would have just spent one more day in Sin City! We made it all the way to St. Louis.. a mere 3 hrs and change from home. Our flight got pushed back and then cancelled.. we had to stay overnight and catch a flight out the next day because the company didnt want us to rent a car and drive while tired. We were on company time, so we booked a room at the Marriott and tried to get some sleep. the next day we flew from St. Louis to Dallas, so that we could fly from Dallas to Springfield. I know.. seems nutty. So, when we FINALLY got home I expected to find a dirty house, piles of dishes, and stir crazy kids. But like I said, family is awesome! My brothers had been watching the kids while we were gone, and they did laundry, washed dishes and cooked for the kids all weekend. I came home from my trip to a clean house and my brother Micah even brought dinner so we wouldn't have to cook!!!! Fantastic!!! Can't get better than that!! I have the best family ever!

1 comment:

  1. Now, that's a lot! Sounds like a good time all the way around. ~Ms. A

    ReplyDelete