Monday, June 1, 2009

Thinking Moments

I had the pleasure of spending some time with two of my younger brothers on Friday night. My two youngest brothers Nathan and Matthew came over which is always a welcome surprise. I love hanging out with my siblings and I enjoy my youngest brothers very much! I am so lucky that two teenage guys, 18 and 17 respectively, actually want to hang out with their 31 year old sister!
On this particular evening Nathan and I planned to go and see the new X-Men Origins film and my brother Matthew volunteered to watch my kids. I couldn't say no to that! We had a great time and after it was all said and done I drove the boys to my parents home roughly an hour away.
Since it was a Friday night my parents were both up even though it was getting a bit late, and my dad shared some unwelcome news with me. My sister had been run over by a car and was in the hospital recuperating from 3 fractured ribs and a punctured lung. I was shocked, and then I started to cry. I work in health care so I know just how close a call it was. I was so relieved that her injuries weren't worse, or even fatal. In the moments after I heard the news my mind was running a mile a minute. I realized that I hadn't talked to my sister in a year and hadn't seen her in two. I hadn't written or even sent a Christmas card. It wasn't that I hadn't mean to do those things, they just didn't ever happen. I love my sister, but we haven't always been close. In fact, when we were girls we fought quite a bit. We were very different and usually didn't see eye to eye. I haven't always agreed with her, but Carrie is my only sister and the realization that I could have lost her forever was frightening and overwhelming for me. In that moment I made a resolution to be more diligent in keeping up contact with family members that I don't see on a regular basis. I don't want to regret what I should have done. I am not perfect, but I know I need to at least improve if not perfect my communication with family. I am so grateful that Carrie is on the mend, and I am so thankful that she was spared. I am also thankful for a well needed wake-up call so that I can change my ways before it is too late!!

No comments:

Post a Comment