Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Things You Might Think About on a Tuesday

It was just another Tuesday at work, I stay pretty busy every day that I work. I have a lengthy list of projects to keep me busy aside from working with my patients. I am hopping from the time I walk in the doors until I leave each evening. I love how quickly my day goes by, I like my co-workers and my bosses, and I love my patients. I have to say that my patients are probably my favorite most amazing part of what I do. I always try to find something about each and every person that joins our facility that I can relate to. I love getting to know these special people from all walks of life. One such person is a especially lovely lady who I will call Bess. Bess is wracked by pain and muscle spasms. She suffers from extreme contractures of the muscles, which is when your muscles are in a constant state of tension with no release. She has a severe skin condition and has been unable to walk or use her legs in over 4 years. She developed a bad infection in her spine and one hip that required strong antibiotics and invasive surgery. She has been through so much and yet her outlook is one of the best I have ever encountered. She is sunny and sweet and upbeat. Even with all that I do to be cheerful and attentive to each of my patients, Bess puts me to shame! I am amazed by this sweet, caring, tiny bit of a woman. No matter how many times I go to her room to get her for yet another session of therapy, she never complains. She is happy to see me and always has a good word to say about whatever we are doing that day. I know that her body is always in pain, and the pain medication she takes only reduces the pain she feels it doesn't take it completely away. Despite constant pain and several health problems, she never stops smiling!
The bar Bess sets is high. I look at myself and I can't help but ask, "Do I do each task I am given in a cheerful manner?", "Do I treat each person I meet kindly?", and "What kind of example do I set for others?'. I think it has really made me take a good look at myself. I know that it is hard sometimes to juggle what I do, but there is always someone who has more to bear. Who am I that the world should revolve around me. I am finding so much more fulfillment and happiness when it doesn't. I once read a quote by Mother Teresa, "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier". I really think that Bess has mastered this task. I do not believe that anyone could spend time in her presence without leaving a little richer.

1 comment:

  1. Autumn - Very, very nice post! A good lesson for us all I think and I am so glad you have benefited from this relationship. I love that you care so much! ~Ms. A

    ReplyDelete